Beef liver: benefit and harm of a popular by-product
Beef liver is a very popular product among modern housewives, as it has a low fat content, and the quantity of useful microelements is huge. It's easy to cook.
In the world there are thousands of recipes using this by-product. Yes, and it is relatively inexpensive. But is beef liver so useful, how do we think about it?
Composition and calorie content
If we talk about minerals, I would like to note that in this byproduct simply a huge content of iron, magnesium, zinc, phosphorus, sodium and calcium. Also, the liver is rich in amino acids, namely: lysine, tryptophan and methionine.
The calorie content of this by-product is small and amounts to about 125 kilocalories in 100 grams of the product.
Useful properties of offal
The benefits of the liver have been known since ancient times. And this is not surprising, given the amount of vitamins and other macro- and microelements contained in this product, amino acids.
- The liver contains a large amount of iron, which contributes to the production of hemoglobin. And since there is vitamin C and copper in the liver, iron is very well absorbed;
Benefits of the liver when losing weight
This sub-product is an indispensable food for people who struggle with excessive weight. The fact is that the use of this byproduct speeds up metabolic processes and causes a sense of satiety.
This means that a person quickly ceases to feel hunger, metabolism occurs faster, and this is the trigger for the loss of extra pounds. In addition, beef liver is low-calorie.
There are even special diets based on beef liver. But before you start such experiments, consult your doctor. In addition, sticking to liver diets for more than 2 consecutive weeks is strictly prohibited.
Possible harm to the product
Unfortunately, the liver is an imperfect product, and is to some extent harmful to health. The fact is that the beef liver is the source of cholesterol. As scientists have shown, increased use of cholesterol can lead not only to the development of atherosclerosis, but also cause heart attacks and strokes. And if a person already suffers from an increased level of cholesterol, then it is necessary to limit the use of the liver to a minimum.
Also it is necessary to limit the use of liver to people older than 60 years, since keratin, which is contained in it, can harm the health of an elderly person.
In addition, it is a perishable product and needs special storage conditions. Therefore, first of all it is necessary to understand that only fresh offal can be eaten.
Do not forget that you always need to know the measure, because even useful food in large quantities can be harmful to the body. Even in an adult healthy person, eating too much of a liver can cause a disorder of the gastrointestinal tract.
Beef liver with pickled cucumbers read recipe.
What is useful for beef liver in our article.
Rules for selecting a quality by-product and storage features
When buying such an offal, like beef liver, you must be extremely careful. The fact is that this product spoils very quickly. The use of sub-products of questionable quality not only will not benefit your body, but also detrimentally affect your health.
When buying a liver, pay attention to the following characteristics:
- The color is uniform and can vary from light brown to burgundy. The surface of the product should be shiny and without scratches;
- There is no gray raid;
- Absence of sutured places;
- The structure is dense and porous;
- Specific aroma, but without the admixture of putrefactive odors;
- The number of vessels and voids is insignificant;
- The film must tightly envelop the liver;
- On the offal, there should be no blood clots, much less green spots. If the listed shortcomings of the product are evident, then, when cutting the animal, a gallbladder was touched, so the dish will be bitter, no matter how spices you season your dish;
- If a little pierce the beef liver with a sharp object, then on its surface will come the blood of scarlet color;
- If you buy a frozen liver, then make sure that there are no orange spots on it. This coloring in the first place indicates that the products have been frozen.
Try to buy a liver from one trusted seller. In this case, you are more likely not to be disappointed in the quality of the product, and therefore, in the usefulness of the dish you cooked.
In addition, the liver must be stored correctly, namely:
- In the refrigerator – no more than 2 days;
- In the freezer – no more than three months.
How tasty to cook liver: tips and secrets
There are many recipes for cooking beef liver. This process is simple enough and simple, but there are a couple of secrets that will help make your dish just superb.
- Since the liver has a bitter taste, before cooking it is better to soak it in milk for 2 hours. You will not only get rid of bitterness, but also soften any liver;
- In order to preserve as many useful substances as possible during frying, it is necessary to salt it at the end of cooking;
- From the liver, tender pâtés are obtained. The reason is that when cooking, it loses a lot of moisture, but with further processing it perfectly absorbs fat;
- Before cooking, do not forget to remove all streaks;
- Remove the film from the by-product. It will be very easy to do this if it is held in warm water for several minutes;
- To the beef liver melted in the mouth, before cooking cut the meat and sprinkle with soda. Leave the pieces in this condition for 5 minutes, then rinse thoroughly with water;
- Before frying, the liver can be slightly repelled with a hammer. To do it neatly, and the pieces are not at all ugly, cover the liver with food film on top or put it in a cellophane bag.
The liver can not only be cooked and fried. This by-product is stewed, baked, pates made of it, etc. The liver is a part of many delicious dishes. The main thing, do not be afraid to experiment and combine beef liver with various ingredients. And then you will understand that this product is unique, and in different dishes its taste reveals itself in different ways.
The liver is truly a universal product. It can be served not only with any side dish, but also as an independent dish. In addition, it is very useful. This product is just a storehouse of nutrients and vitamins.
I can not take beef liver. But knowing about the benefits of cooking pancakes from her. So the taste becomes more gentle and the product is used more easily! You can add a little manga.
I soak the liver in milk, as written in the article, otherwise there is not a very pleasant aroma. Then I boil it with carrots and onions as gravy. Sometimes I cook a light liver soup. The liver is very useful, it must be periodically included in the diet. Although I'm skeptical about the fried liver, it's too fatty.