The task of the diet for pancreatitis is mechanical, chemical and thermal shudder of the gastrointestinal tract. That is, by observing a diet with inflammation of the pancreas, its normal functioning is achieved, protecting the stomach and intestines from aggressive food, reducing the activation of the gallbladder and preventing liver diseases.
Diet for pancreatitis should be nutritious, contain an increased amount of proteins, but a reduced amount of fats and carbohydrates (in particular sugar) to prevent liver degeneration into fatty hepatosis and the development of diabetes.
The daily amount of nutrients needed for pancreatitis:
- proteins: 100 – 120 gr. (of which 65% of animals);
- fats: 80 – 100 gr. (of which 15 is 20% of plant);
- carbohydrates: 300 – 350 gr. (sugar not more than 30 – 40 gr.)
- table salt 6 – 10 gr. (food should be under-salted);
- Free liquid 1,5 – 2 liters.
The energy value of the diet is 2500 – 2600 kcal.
General principles of diet for pancreatitis
Mechanical processing of food
With acute pancreatitis or with an exacerbation of chronic form all food should be mashed, boiled or cooked for a couple, which ensures maximum gastric sparing.
The food should be served neither hot nor cold. The optimum food temperature is 20 – 50 ° C.
When pancreatitis is very important to observe the measure while eating. Do not overeat, because this creates not only an increased strain on the pancreas, but also the entire digestive tract as a whole.
Eating during the day should be a fraction, up to 5 – 6 once a day. Do not try to satisfy hunger immediately with a large portion of food, it is necessary to follow the principle: “it is better not enough, but often”. This will facilitate the work of the pancreas, the food will be better absorbed, and the pain sensations after eating will practically disappear.
Rejection of bad habits
The use of alcohol is dangerous not only in the development of alcoholism, but with pancreatic alcohol stimulates the formation of protein “growths” – plaques in the ducts of the pancreas, plugging them, breaking the outflow of the secretion of the gland in the duodenum, thereby aggravating the inflammatory process in the organ and provoking the gland to increase self-digestion .
Nicotine in turn inhibits the production of enzymes that render harmless acetic aldehyde (this substance is formed during the breakdown of alcohol in the body, it provokes inflammation of the pancreas).
When pancreatitis should be abandoned products that stimulate the production of gastric juice, and, accordingly, the secretion of the pancreas. That is, the production of pancreatic enzymes significantly exceeds the need for them in the digestive tract as a whole, and therefore, in pancreatitis, excess enzymes are consumed to digest their own pancreas. To reduce the amount of synthesized enzymes and remove inflammation of the body, you must abandon a number of products:
- Soups. Soups cooked on meat, mushroom and fish broth, complex (cabbage soup, borsch, rassolnik), dairy, cold (okroshka, beetroot soup) are forbidden.
- Bread. Fresh wheat or rye, products from puff and dough, cakes, fried pies.
- Meat. Fatty grades of meat (pork, lamb) and poultry (duck, goose), sausages, liver, kidneys and brains, smoked products and canned food.
- A fish. Fatty fish, salted and smoked, fried, canned.
- Milk and lactic products. Of lactic acid products should abandon those who have a high percentage of fat – sour cream, fatty, salty and sharp kinds of cheeses.
- Cereals. Prohibition of pearl, millet, corn and wheat cereals, since they are in the stomach and intestines for a long time, stimulating the production of pancreatic juice.
- Eggs. Fried and hard boiled.
- Vegetables. Cabbage, aubergines, radish, turnips, radish, garlic and spinach, Bulgarian pepper.
- Sweets. Chocolate, raw unprocessed fruits and berries (dates, grapes, figs, bananas), ice cream, jam.
- Spices. Pepper black and red, coriander, horseradish, hot tomato sauce, vinegar and the like.
- Beverages. Coffee, cocoa, strong tea, sweet fizzy drinks, juice from grapes.
- Fats. All refractory fats (pork, beef, lamb fat), fattened fat, bearish and others.
Foods that are recommended for eating with pancreatitis should make it as easy as possible for the pancreas to work, reduce the amount of enzymes it synthesizes, quickly evacuate from the stomach and small intestine, and not cause flatulence, which provokes pains already existing in the abdomen.
In addition, to facilitate the synthesis of enzymes in the pancreas, which include proteins, food should be easily digestible and rich in proteins.
List of allowed products:
- Bread. Yesterday’s or dried white bread, dry unsweetened biscuits, crackers.
- Soups. Soups should be vegetarian, with mashed vegetables (carrots, pumpkin, zucchini, potatoes), with vermicelli, semolina or oatmeal.
- Meat. Low-fat varieties (beef without films and tendons, veal), white chicken meat, turkey, rabbit. The meat should be boiled and preferably wiped (soufflé, steam cutlets, knels), beef stroganoff.
- A fish. Low-fat varieties (cod, pollock, carp) in boiled form or crushed, pouring.
- Cereals. Buckwheat (mashed), oatmeal, semolina, rice porridge in water with milk 50 / 50, puddings and casseroles with croups, cottage cheese.
- Milk and sour-milk products. Milk low in fat, non-acidic and low-fat cottage cheese, yogurts, yogurt, yogurt not more than 2% fat, unsalted and low-fat cheeses.
- Eggs. Omelets cooked on a pair of proteins.
- Vegetables. Potatoes, carrots, zucchini, beets, cauliflower, pumpkin, green peas.
- Sweets. Sugar is best replaced with xylitol, fruits and berries are consumed only by ripe and non-acidic varieties, the preparation of mousses, jellies, puddings, compotes (all in grated form), baked apples.
- Spices and sauces. Milk or sauces on a diluted vegetable broth, with the addition of flour it does not pass.
- Fats. Butter (no more than 30 gr. Per day), vegetable refined oil (10 – 15 gr.), Add butter to ready-made meals.
- Beverages. Slightly digested tea with lemon, mineral water without gas, juices, half diluted in water.
It is allowed to drink non-carbonated alkaline water up to 1,5 – 2 liters per day.
Necessity of dieting
Compliance with the diet in pancreatitis is aimed at maximum shaking of the pancreas, reducing inflammation in the gland, arresting a pain attack and preventing the development of possible complications.
In addition, the diet normalizes the production of digestive enzymes, blocks the “eating” of the pancreas by itself, maintains the integrity of the intestinal mucosa, limits the flow of toxic substances into the body, normalizes the work of the gastrointestinal tract as a whole.
The consequences of non-compliance with the diet
In the case of non-compliance with diet in acute pancreatitis or exacerbation of chronic, the following complications occur:
- jaundice (due to impaired outflow of bile);
- bleeding in the digestive tract (stomach ulcers, varicose veins of the esophagus, Mellory-Weiss syndrome);
- portal hepatic hypertension;
- thrombosis of the portal or splenic vein;
- defeat of the duodenum (obstruction);
- a malignant tumor of the pancreas;
- defeat of the brain (encephalopathy).