Diet in high cholesterol in men. Products. Variants of dishes
Atherosclerosis as a consequence of an increased level of cholesterol is relevant for both sexes, but up to 50 years among women this problem is less common. Men already from 30-year-old age fall into the risk group due to their physiological characteristics and lifestyle. Essential role in the cholesterol metabolism is played by nutrition, since a fifth of lipoproteins and triglycerides enter the body with food. The remaining 80% have an endogenous origin, so if the norm is exceeded, it may take not only a diet for high cholesterol in men, but also specific medications, a lifestyle change, a rejection of addictions.
The reasons for the increase and the cholesterol in men
As shown by biochemical blood tests, the norm of blood levels of low-density lipoproteins increases with aging. The average maximum value is 5.2 mmol / l. If this milestone is reached, it’s time to think about a review of the diet, and an increase of several units is an occasion for drug therapy.
Up to 30 years, such values in men are not dangerous, since the metabolic rate is high enough. But at a later age, the atherogenicity of cholesterol increases and it begins to settle with plaques on the walls of the arteries. Women in this age group protects the hormonal background, in which estrogens predominate, but among the stronger sex the incidence of strokes and heart attacks sharply increases.
Why are men after 30 exposed to the negative effects of cholesterol? Among the common causes are hereditary pathologies, lack of mobility and overeating, disruptions in the endocrine system. The specific “male” factors include:
- High-calorie food, consisting mainly of fats and carbohydrates, and an improper diet. It is believed that a man should eat a lot and tightly, and the modern rhythm of life also contributes to the frequent use of fast food, rich in trans fats, and irregular meals.
- The presence of such harmful influences on the work of the cardiovascular system habits, such as smoking and drinking alcohol.
- Chronic stress. This factor negatively affects the health of women, but the difference in the emotional behavior of both sexes allows women to periodically “relieve tension,” while a strong half of humanity accumulates negative emotions.
Therefore, men, starting from 30 years, are recommended not to avoid preventive check-ups and regularly check the level of cholesterol. Small deviations will help to correct a balanced diet with increased cholesterol in the blood of men and the rejection of some potentially dangerous products. In more serious cases, drug therapy is indicated.
To be afraid of that it is necessary to eat monotonously and it is tasteless, it is not necessary. In fact, the transition to a healthy diet does not imply the rejection of a delicious meal, just need to slightly reduce the caloric content of the menu and review the mode of eating:
- Make the basis of the diet (about 60% of the total) complex carbohydrates – cereals, legumes, vegetables and fruits. Due to pectin, fiber and glycogen, they help normalize the level of not only cholesterol, but also sugar, reduce the risk of obesity.
- Give up fatty meat in favor of dietary. That is, instead of pork or duck eating low-fat rabbit and chicken. Consumption of fish is not limited, as the fat contained in it is unsaturated, which contributes to the synthesis of HDL cholesterol (“good” cholesterol).
- Less is bread, preferring cooked with the addition of bran, and also yesterday’s rye. The recommended daily rate is 200 grams.
- Reduce the amount of sugar and salt in food. Salt food should be immediately before consumption and very moderately (up to 3 g per day), and instead of pure sugar use harmless substitutes.
- A diet with high cholesterol in men suggests a special diet. Meals should be 5, with an interval of no more than 3 hours in between, and portions should be small.
- The way of cooking also matters. Preferred are stewing, boiling or baking, but fry products as little as possible.
Lovers of coffee, strong alcohol, sodas and rich black tea will have to give up these drinks in favor of juices, compotes and fruit drinks. But beer is not contraindicated, and even on the contrary – it is useful. However, it should be borne in mind that the maximum daily dose is 0,5 L, and the beer itself should be fresh and natural (that is, do not contain chemical additives, preservatives, sugar and other harmful ingredients).
List of things that you can not eat men with high cholesterol
From certain products with an increased risk of atherosclerosis will have to be abandoned completely. “Champions of” the content of cholesterol and substances that contribute to its synthesis in the body are the following:
- fat meat and poultry – beef, pork, duck;
- by-products – liver, brains, kidneys;
- cheese, butter, other dairy products with a high percentage of fat;
- margarine, animal fats, fat;
- Smoked meat, sausages and canned food;
- sweets, baking, confectionery;
- alcoholic drinks, lemon, strong tea and coffee.
To exclude the listed products from a diet it is necessary a minimum for three months if the level of cholesterol in blood exceeds normal parameters.
What must be present in the menu for high cholesterol in men
The basis of the diet – products to reduce blood cholesterol in men. The list includes:
- vegetables in thermally processed and fresh form, fruits;
- cereals, bran bread, legumes;
- sea fish containing many polyunsaturated fatty acids;
- egg proteins as sources of protein;
- vegetable oils;
- soy and mushrooms;
- milk and sour-milk products with a low percentage of fat;
- green tea, fruit drinks, fruit juice, fresh fruit juices.
It is useful to add garlic and some spices (for example, turmeric) to the food. You can include in the menu and pasta, egg yolks, lean meat, but in limited quantities.
Diet for high cholesterol in men
For each age period, beginning with 30 years, there are specific features and limitations in nutrition. So, from 30 to 40, the menu should be maximally diverse, low-fat meat should be eaten at least 3 once a week, and the average daily caloric intake should be about 2500-3000 kcal. However, the energy value directly depends on the way of life: athletes need much more (up to 5000), and with sedentary work and excess weight – no more than 2000.
Since 40 and up to 50 years, when age hormonal changes occur and metabolism slows down, the nutritional value of a daily diet should not exceed 2500-3000 kcal. Meat can be consumed no more often than 3 once a week. The diet with cholesterol increased after 50 years implies a complete rejection of coffee, salt and sugar, almost complete replacement of meat dishes with fish and an increase in the proportion of low-fat dairy products on the menu. Nevertheless, it is possible to eat deliciously and diversely enough even under the most severe restrictions.
If you are having difficulty selecting and preparing food, you can use the options below for each of the 5 meals. In the menu for a week for a diet with high cholesterol in men after 50 years, you can include a variety of nutritious and varied dishes.
- porridge, cooked on milk or water (except for semolina);
- curd casserole or cheese cake;
- toast with jam;
- protein omelet for steaming;
- kefir with muesli;
- a mixture of nuts with seeds and dried fruits.
Ginger or green tea is suitable as a drink, which gives a boost of vivacity and activates metabolic processes.
- vegetable salad with butter;
- fruit salad with honey;
- a sandwich made of bran bread, low-fat cheese and vegetables;
- sour-milk drinks;
- Nuts or seeds;
- fruit or vegetable juices.
This meal should consist of the first (vegetable soups or meat, fish broths) and the second dish. And if there is meat or fish in the soup, then it is desirable to do with dishes without them, focusing on other products to reduce cholesterol in the blood of men.
- borsch or cabbage soup with lean meat;
- broth from a bird;
- mushroom soup;
- vegetable soup;
- fish or meat baked;
- vegetable stew;
- mashed potatoes;
- vegetable salads.
These meals help to cope with the feeling of hunger between lunch and dinner, especially if protein meals are served.
- meatballs or meatballs;
- omelet from whole eggs or proteins;
- cutlet steaks;
- cheese casserole;
- milk, kefir.
The last meal on time should be about 2-3 hours before bedtime. If you feel hungry again after dinner, you can drink a glass of yogurt or kefir.
- boiled fish or meat with a cereal garnish;
- meat or fish, baked (stewed) with vegetables;
- casseroles of their vegetables with cheese or cottage cheese with fruit;
- chicken with salad.
With such a diet, a noticeable improvement usually occurs after 1-2 months, and three times the concentration of lipoproteins in the blood come back to normal. If you adhere to the recommended diet with a constant and combine it with moderate physical exertion, then the likelihood of developing atherosclerosis decreases many times.