Insulin resistance is called reduced sensitivity of cells to the action of the hormone insulin. Even small weight loss can increase the susceptibility of tissues to this hormone. Therefore, all diabetics, suffering from excess weight, should follow a diet with insulin resistance for weight loss.
List of allowed products
Normalize the condition will come with a full review of the diet. When making the menu, you should focus on products that have a low glycemic index. For 2 weeks it is advisable to use only food that has a small GI. This will reduce the burden on the pancreas.
The allowed products are:
- any green vegetables;
- seafood: fish, shrimp;
- dairy products: cottage cheese, cheeses, yogurt more than 3,5% fat content;
- eggplants, zucchini, tomatoes;
- leaf salad, spinach, sorrel;
- asparagus beans;
- Bulgarian pepper;
- raspberry, cranberry, red currant, elderberry, blueberry, sea-buckthorn;
- Nectarines, quince, green pears;
- almonds, peanuts, hazelnuts, pumpkin seeds, pistachios (nuts are used in small quantities).
You can drink tea or coffee without sugar.
After two weeks of such restrictions and treatment with diet therapy, you can expand the diet. In the menu add:
- green apples, grapefruits, tangerines, apricots, melons, persimmons, kiwi, mango, peaches, plums, figs in fresh form;
- black currant, strawberry, cherry, mulberry;
- low-fat milk, kefir not less than 1,5%, yoghurt 1,5%;
- buckwheat, hard varieties of manga, millet, oatmeal, wild rice;
- peas, white beans;
- whole wheat and rye bread;
- chocolate with a cocoa content of more than 75%;
- beets, carrots, onions, young potatoes;
- pineapples, guavas, lychees.
You can drink already unsweetened compotes and cocoa.
Beets, carrots and onions should be subject to mandatory heat treatment. If they plan to make salads, then vegetables should be scalded.
List of Prohibited Products
Diabetics and people with insulin resistance should understand that it is impossible to break a diet until the state is normal. Otherwise, all efforts will be in vain. While it will not be possible to achieve normalization of parameters it is necessary to exclude completely from a ration:
- white bread, pita bread, crackers, corn flakes;
- rice (except wild), potatoes, millet, pearl barley;
- flour, starch;
- crisps, powdered mashed potatoes, crackers;
- candy, lollipops, honey;
- cherries, bananas, canned berries and fruits;
- coconut milk;
- kefir with a fat content of less than 1,5%;
- beer, juice, wine, liqueurs and any drinks with sugar.
If you add them to the diet, it will be difficult to get rid of insulin resistance. With such nutrition it will turn out to lose weight well, therefore the quantity of fatty tissues will decrease, and the susceptibility of cells to the hormone will increase.
Sample menu with insulin resistance
Caloric content of the menu below depends on the size of the portions, from 1500 to 1800 kcal per day.
Breakfast: 1 cup of oatmeal, 0,5 glass of berries, 100 gr. low-fat cottage cheese.
Snack: orange, grapefruit or 2-3 mandarin.
Lunch: 100-120 gr. white chicken meat (can be grilled chicken without skin) or fish of cold seas (salmon, trout, pink salmon, horse mackerel), vegetable salad dressed with 1-2 teaspoons of olive or linseed oil, greens (lettuce, spinach, etc.) , a small plate of beans or lentils (it can be replaced with buckwheat porridge).
Dinner. 150 grams of stewed chicken or salmon, a plate of vegetables dressed with 1 teaspoon of olive oil, greens, a cup of brown rice.
Snack: 30 gr. almonds or walnuts.
You should also remember that every day you need to drink 2-3 liters of water.
Chicken meat is an excellent source of protein, but it should be low-fat