Oxalates in the urine – a frequent phenomenon and, unfortunately, not always susceptible to treatment with medications. In this case, we offer at your discretion a unique therapeutic diet that helps get rid of this disease in the shortest time and does not cause any harm to health.
Let's look at the essence of the diet and what are the main causes of oxalate in the urine. Also, you will get acquainted with the sample menu and delicious diet recipes by reading the following article.
The causes of the appearance of oxalate in the urine
Oxalates are salts that are secreted by the kidneys in the body upon receipt of the wrong food. Let's take a closer look at what the main causes of the appearance of oxalates in urine:
- excessive salt intake;
- presence of diabetes mellitus;
- kidney failure;
- hereditary predisposition;
- metabolic disease;
- excessive consumption of ascorbic acid and foods containing vitamin D.
Aftermath the long-term presence of oxalates can be very different:
- an increase in protein and white blood cells in the urine;
- blood when urinating;
- severe pain in the lumbar region;
- fatigue, weakness;
- frequent urination.
Purpose of the diet with oxalates
Indications for nutrition on a diet can be not only because of the above possible unpleasant exacerbations of the disease. Diet can be prescribed and at the initial stage of detection of oxalates in urine.
Removal of stones from the bladder with diet occurs as follows:
- eat at least five times a day;
- daily use from 2 to 2,5 liters of fresh purified water;
- the use of fish and meat exclusively in boiled and stewed;
- obligatory inclusion in the daily menu of dairy and sour-milk products;
- products from flour of higher grades should be replaced with whole grain bread and bran;
- necessarily presence in the menu of porridges and soups from buckwheat, pearl and millet cereals;
- try to eat less foods containing oxalic acid (cabbage, pumpkin, bananas, apricots);
- tea and coffee substitute for dried fruit compotes;
- Limit with in fat fish, meat and mushroom broths;
- do not use strong tea and drinks containing caffeine;
- also under strict prohibition of food additives (mustard, horseradish, pepper);
- if you follow a diet, in no case should you eat smoked foods and canned foods.
When oxalate in urine increases, you should increase fluid intake and reduce salt and meat intake. If the content is low, increase the amount of milk and dairy products in the diet.
Permitted and Prohibited Products
In the item mentioned above, it has already been said, what should be the nutrition of the diet in the presence of oxalates in urine. In the following material, let us examine in more detail what kind of products and which of them should be immediately excluded from the diet, in order to avoid aggravation of the situation.
Food recommended for use with oxalate in the urine look like this:
- color and white cabbage and sauerkraut, cucumbers, eggplant;
- cranberries, mountain ash;
- apples; apricots, pears, bananas, grapes, peaches, melons, watermelons;
- Birch juice;
- prunes, dried apricots;
- squash and eggplant caviar;
- wheat, gray and rye bread;
- walnuts and cedar nuts;
- vegetable oil;
- kefir, sour cream, cottage cheese, yogurt;
- chicken eggs;
- vegetable and fruit soups-mashed potatoes;
- not strong tea, coffee with milk;
- Low-fat meat and fish in cooked, baked and stewed;
- buckwheat, pearl barley and millet;
- cranberry, gooseberry, red currant;
- tomatoes and tomato paste;
- kissels, compotes.
With regard to prohibited foods, mandatory exclude from the diet diet under oxalates the following list:
- chocolate, sweets, biscuits, jam, ice cream;
- fatty meats;
- products made of butter and puff pastry;
- fatty meat, fish and mushroom broths;
- smoked, fried, spicy and salty foods;
- canned food;
- nutritional supplements;
- mushrooms, peas, beans;
- sorrel, spinach, parsley;
- beets, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, radish, celery, lentils, Bulgarian pepper;
- plum, citrus, blueberry, cranberry, raisins;
- strong tea, cocoa, chicory and tomato juice.
Diet with oxalate in the urine of a child
Diet with oxalate in the urine of a child is practically no different from the dietary intake of adults. Among basic principles, such as:
- five meals a day;
- use of a large amount of purified non-carbonated water;
- ban on diet for foods rich in oxalic acid (onions, legumes, bananas, plums, apricots);
- in any case, you should not eat too cold dishes;
- limit or completely exclude from the menu products containing vitamin C (rose hips, radish, black currant, citrus fruits);
- restriction in products containing calcium (milk, legumes, yogurt) and vitamin D (cheese, cottage cheese, seafood);
- for 20-30 minutes before meals, drink plenty of mineral water;
- the maximum allowable sugar per day is a tablespoon;
- Exclude from the diet of the child strong tea, canned foods and spices.
In the following paragraph, consider the approximate diet menu for a week with oxalate in the urine of both adults and children.
Sample menu for the week
Based on the above list of eligible foods, diet menu for 7 days with oxalate in urine as follows:
- Breakfast: millet porridge and dried fruit compote;
- Lunch: cabbage soup-puree, a slice of whole-grain bread;
- Dinner: chicken cutlets with low fat sour cream and greens.
- oatmeal and toast with tea;
- vegetable soup with lean meatballs;
- stewed cabbage – 250
- buckwheat – 200 g and a glass of apple compote;
- stewed vegetables and unsweetened green tea;
- Pasta with cheese.
- oatmeal with dried fruit and hot drink;
- apple compote and fruit soup;
- 2-3 large baked potatoes.
- cottage cheese with sour cream and a hot beverage without sugar;
- curd casserole with dried fruits, green tea;
- buckwheat with low-fat chicken cutlets.
- apple puree and carrot juice;
- mashed potatoes and boiled chicken egg;
- omelette, steamed with tomatoes and greens.
- buckwheat porridge and berry juice;
- soup puree from white cabbage and broccoli;
- curd casserole with prunes, unsweetened hot drink.
Recipes for a diet with oxalates in the urine differ in their usefulness and variety. Let's consider the most common:
Wheat porridge with carrots for getting rid of oxalates
Wheat porridge with carrots
Ingredients: 300 ml of water, 300 g millet, two onions and carrots, a tablespoon of butter.
- boil water and pour in the rump;
- chop onion with carrots and fry in butter;
- mix with the porridge and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
The following recipe is relevant for every day if you follow a diet:
Vegetable stew for a diet with oxalates
Ingredients: carrot, bulb, 5 potatoes, half a kilo of cabbage, bay leaf and a tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- peel and cut the potatoes;
- throw in boiled water and cook for about 10 minutes;
- chop the onions finely;
- grate the carrot;
- add them to the pan to the potatoes and cook for 10-15 minutes;
- chop and add cabbage to the pan;
- pour in vegetable oil and toss a bay leaf;
- cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
The following recipe is recommended to be applied three times a week while following a diet for getting rid of oxalates:
Pumpkin pancakes for a diet with oxalates
Ingredients: a glass of flour, a pound of pumpkin, 25 ml of olive oil, a tablespoon of sugar, a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of honey.
- clean the pumpkin and grate it;
- mix with the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly;
- from the resulting mixture, form pancakes and put them on a baking sheet, carefully oiled with olive oil;
- cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
Vegetable soup for getting rid of oxalate in urine
Ingredients: 2 liters of purified water, 5 potatoes, two carrots, half a cauliflower head, a pinch of dill.
- peel and cut the potatoes;
- grate the carrot on a large grater;
- boil water and add vegetables to it;
- add chopped cabbage and greens;
- cook for 20 minutes.
Then follows the recipe, which is recommended to use twice a week, while following a diet to get rid of oxalates in the urine.
Souffle from cottage cheese for steaming for a diet with oxalates
Souffle from a couple of cottage cheese
Ingredients: 250 g skimmed cottage cheese, egg yolk, 50 g sugar, 100 ml milk, 50 ml sour cream.
- mix all the products;
- Beat thoroughly until smooth with a mixer;
- cook in a double boiler for half an hour.