How to increase appetite in adults and children
Most people have a great appetite, which often leads to overeating and a set of excess weight, so many people perceive the problem of lack of appetite as something frivolous and far-fetched. And in vain. Low appetite can be temporary and caused by psychological aspects or the reaction of the body to taking medications, and can signal about dangerous diseases, for example, the appearance of a cancerous tumor, and therefore it is not worth ignoring.
Causes of decreased appetite?
Before taking action to improve the appetite, you need to understand the reasons for his absence. If, for obvious reasons, the lack of appetite in a person lasts more than two weeks, it is recommended that you urgently seek medical advice and check your health, perhaps the reason lies in serious diseases requiring medical intervention and treatment.
Due to a number of emotional, psychological and physiological reasons, a short-term loss of appetite can be observed in almost all adults. Frequent stresses, emergencies, apathy and depression are the main causes of decreased appetite in adults. In pursuit of fashion and beauty, many girls regularly observe different diet for weight loss, which can eventually lead to eating disorders and anorexia, which in a neglected form is fatal.
The reasons for the lack of appetite in children may include:
- individual features of development,
- snacks sweets before meals,
- sedentary lifestyle,
- psychological pressure from adults,
- poor health or disease.
After understanding the causes of low appetite, it is necessary to take measures to increase it.
How to improve appetite
In order to increase appetite, it is necessary to make adjustments to the culture of one's diet and reconsider your diet, habits and preferences.
Ways to increase appetite:
- Fractional meals in small portions. It is more useful for the stomach to eat small portions for better digestion of food. In this case, do not starve, breaks between meals should be no more than 3 hours.
- Variety of diet. It is necessary to include in your diet favorite foods, however, their constant use can soon get bored. Proceeding from this, you need to regularly supplement your menu with new dishes and desserts, based on personal taste preferences.
- The meal should be at the same time. Nutrition at the same time will promote the activation of the stomach and the secretion of gastric juice, which will affect the increase of hunger. Before meals it is not necessary to have a snack with sweets. Half an hour before meals, it is better to eat a fruit or vegetable, drink a glass of freshly squeezed juice.
- Compliance with water balance. Dehydration of the body affects the loss of appetite, and therefore it is recommended to drink during the day, purified water without gas, in the volume of 5-8 glasses, especially with intense physical exertion.
- Culture of nutrition. A beautifully served table and a spectacular serving of dishes contribute to an increase in appetite. It is recommended for 15-20 minutes before a meal to drink a glass of red dry wine or a bitterly tasting aperitif.
- Rejection of bad habits. Refusal to smoke will contribute to depriving the body of the previously obtained pleasure, which he will look for in something else, often in food. Another bad habit for the body is the wrong regime of the day. It is necessary to alternate work and rest, relax, and also sleep at least 8 hours per day.
- Active lifestyle. To increase appetite, regular physical activity is necessary. We must try to walk longer in the open air, play sports, visit the preferred sections, and refuse to use the elevator.
- Reception of vitamins. Deficiency of vitamins and minerals in the body can be affected by the reluctance to eat, and therefore it is recommended to take additional multivitamin complexes. Activates the appetite of ascorbic acid and vitamin B12.
Recommendations for an adult
In order to increase the appetite of an adult and gain weight, you need to change your lifestyle and eating habits. A sedentary lifestyle and bad habits (smoking, lack of sleep), as well as regular stresses reduce the desire to eat. Therefore it is recommended to be more often on fresh air, regularly to be engaged in gymnastics and sports, to get enough sleep.
Food intake should be a pleasure, and therefore it is important to beautifully serve the table, eat slowly. For 20-30 minutes before eating, you can eat a green apple, a piece of fresh lemon or drink a couple spoonfuls of cabbage juice, which will increase appetite due to the rise in insulin levels in the blood and stimulation of the gastric mucosa. Spices, spices and condiments also increase appetite, and therefore it is recommended to add them when preparing dishes.
No less effective methods of increasing appetite in adults: folk remedies (tincture bitter wormwood, aira, dandelions, chicory broth), which you can prepare yourself at home, as well as medicines that can be purchased at the pharmacy.
Drugs to increase appetite in adults:
- Allochol – take 2 tablets a day after meals.
- Ascorbic acid – Take 2 tablets daily before meals for a month.
- Peritol – take an 1 tablet 3 a day before meals or 1-2 tsp. 3-4 times a day.
Lack of appetite in the elderly person can be associated with various diseases (intestines, stomach, liver, kidneys, cardiovascular system, diabetes mellitus, disruptions in the endocrine system). With poor nutrition in the elderly, there may be a decline in strength, weakness, weight loss, due to the lack of necessary microelements for the body, obtained with food.
At home, elderly people are advised to drink half an hour before eating decoctions of herbs, phyto-tea. Stimulate the appetite of green vegetables, garlic, onions, citrus, radish juice. Elderly people need to walk more often outdoors, engage in physical labor in the strength. The body will begin to lose energy and there will be an incentive for its compensation through food.
How to improve the appetite of a child
Poor appetite in a child is a common phenomenon that worries many parents. To panic it is not necessary, for the beginning it is necessary to analyze a way of life of the child and to correct factors influencing unwillingness is. In no case should you forcefully force your child to eat, which can lead to psychological and nutritional disorders (aversion to food, vomitive reactions).
It is recommended to start the day with morning gymnastics to music and water procedures that will wake up the body and contribute to increasing the child's appetite. During the day, do not forget about the activity. Walking and outdoor games, especially before lunch and dinner, will help "work up" the appetite.
Many children perceive food as a hindrance to the game, and therefore refuse to eat. In order to change the situation, one must impose food on the plate in small portions. A small portion is eaten by a child faster and without whims, to quickly return to your favorite pastime. All kinds of snacks between meals should be excluded, so as not to interrupt the appetite.
From psychological tricks: creating a picture (animals, birds, faces) from dishes using sauces and vegetables, using plates with favorite cartoon characters (to find out who is pictured on the bottom of the plate, you need to eat the whole portion). Recommended involve the child in the process of laying the table, so he had a desire to eat with adults.
Recipes for increased appetite
Bitter wormwood tincture
- A teaspoon of dry wormwood pour steep boiling water, brew like tea.
- Let it brew for 20 minutes, then drain.
Take tincture from bitter wormwood for 30 minutes before meals on 0,25 glass 2-3 times a day.
- A teaspoon of dandelion roots is poured with steep boiling water, then again brought to a boil.
- After that it is necessary to turn off the gas, cover the pan with a lid and let it brew for 1 an hour.
Take tincture of dandelions should be on 1 tablespoon half an hour before meals 3 times a day.
Tincture of calamus
- Pour the dessert spoon of calamus with steep boiling water.
- Leave to stand for half an hour.
Take 50 ml of tincture for half an hour before meals 3 times a day.
Decoction of chicory
- Pour the root of chicory steep boiling water, bring it back to a boil, cook for 10 minutes, turn off the gas and let it brew.
- Cool the decoction.
Take half a cup of broth before meals three times a day.