Interval training is more than a dozen years old. Previously, this method was used only in professional sports to prepare athletes for the upcoming competitions, today such exercises are used everywhere, and it is considered that this is one of the most effective ways to solve the problem with excess weight.
Interval training for burning fat
Alternating periods with high load and low-intensity training, the body alternately changes the course of the metabolic process, due to which the metabolic processes in the body are gradually accelerating. Thus, interval training is different from other methods of losing weight – the effect of burning calories continues after training, for 2-3 days. In addition, the muscle tissue is strengthened, and the endurance of the body is significantly increased.
One of the fundamental in these exercises is the heart rate. The pulse is important to maintain within the limits not exceeding 95% of your maximum.
So, the mechanism that provides fat burning is launched as follows:
- We begin with a warm-up. This, as an option, can be any physical activity, whether it's an easy run, maybe running in one place, jumping or bending.
- Start loads with a small time interval, gradually this period you increase, for example from 2 to 15 minutes.
- The rest time should correspond to the time of classes, that is 5 minutes of exercises and 5 minutes of rest.
- Rest does not mean the termination of any kind of activity, during this period you also perform exercises, but a more moderate pace.
- This is to ensure that the pulse remains within the required values.
- With each new week of training, your load should increase by 10%.
- Training includes from 5 to 10 approaches.
- It is not recommended to practice more than twice a week.
High-intensity interval training
Such a cardio session may include exercises with free weights. Such as, for example, dumbbells, barbells or weights. Particularly effective such a training program is due to short rest intervals between stressed loads. The break can be only 5-10 seconds. It is worth noting that high-intensity interval training is a shock for the body, because in a short period of time it employs a considerable amount of muscles, accelerates the pulse to the maximum limits and significantly increases the amount of oxygen consumed. Therefore, train no more than 20 minutes and, preferably, no more than twice a week. Include in the training so-called warm-ups and knocks, in the process of which the muscles warm up and stretch accordingly. This will save muscle tissue from injury.
The Tabata Protocol.
This is the Japanese method of weight loss, named after the scientist, who conducted many in-depth studies on the topic of professional and effective training of athletes.
His theory consisted in the principle "It must be hard", that is, in the process of training it is necessary to use the maximum amount of muscle tissues at a time, and in order not to injure them during exercise it is recommended to eat complex carbohydrates before the load, for example porridge or muesli. It is also necessary for the production of energy, which will participate in the breakdown of fats.
For exercises on the protocol of Tabata the following exercises are suitable:
- pushups, from the floor, or from the bench – it does not matter;
- squats, with a barbell or without;
- jumping rope, alternate with jumping, pulling your knees to your chest;
- press with twisting;
- pulling, you can use weighting.
Waldemar Gershler was the coach of athletes who focused mainly on short distances. The meaning of his training was as follows: you need to run 100 meter line with the result, 3 seconds less than the previous record. After that, a two-minute break follows and again the approach to the distance. While for 2 minutes, reserved for rest, the pulse has time to recover, training will continue.
Or a game of speed. The essence of the stage-by-stage interval run, where 2 people compete or more.
- At the first stage, the athletes warmed up, during an 10 minute running jog.
- Then followed an intense run in the same time interval.
- After that it was necessary to restore breathing by means of sport walking.
- Race over the straight line of the hundred-meter walk, the same ascent along the slope.
- Restoration of breathing in the process of slow walking.
This is an example of the most famous methods of high-intensity interval training, in fact, they were developed much more.
Beginners in this method can take advantage of a generalized simple action plan:
- A warm-up is needed to warm up the muscle tissue. Walk or jog. Also suitable slopes or squats.
- Before increasing the load, the body must strengthen the movement of blood. Run very quickly until you feel the heat in your muscles.
- Slow down, jog a little.
- Again, run a few seconds at maximum speed.
- Relax for a bit until your heart rate returns to normal, but do not stop at all, an easy run will do.
- A few seconds of the most accelerated run.
- Such intervals should be performed before 20, if you feel a strong tension stop training.
- To complete the exercises, go to the quick step.
You should start gradually, evenly increasing the load.
Of course, running is the most accessible kind of training, which you can do without additional equipment and attending the gym. There are several important rules for achieving the desired result without harm to health:
- Remember that in any kind of training you can overtrain. Allow this should not be, do not often 2 once a week interval method, other days, if you want, use other options. Rest must be full.
- Do not start classes on an empty stomach, but not earlier than a couple of hours after eating.
- To raise the tone, and to make your training more enjoyable and productive, run under the clockwork, rhythmic music. Choose songs that will favorably influence your mood, this is important.
- Do not accelerate too much, make sure that your breathing does not get stuck during acceleration, ideally you should be able to breathe freely without speaking.
- At the end of the interval run, it is recommended to take a contrast shower.
- Get a pulse meter and a stopwatch, they will help correctly calculate the load and get the most benefit and pleasure from training.
If during the interval run you experience discomfort and pain, then, unfortunately, this type of training is better to stop or consult with a doctor. There are chances that you are contraindicated in such loads, possibly in connection with certain diseases.
Interval training: reviews
Most reviews of interval training are definitely positive. They note the diversity of types of occupations combined with undeniable effectiveness. You can find advice that can alert. There is an opinion that these classes are not for beginners, because they are exhausted. Here, for sure, the erroneous approach was applied, with correctly distributed load and gradual increase in the pace of training, the body gets used and does not overwork.
Also note a significant improvement in body relief, increased endurance, a beneficial effect on the state of muscle tissue and improvement of well-being.
Interval training: video
We advise you to study several video clips that are available on the net with clear examples of interval classes. This will allow you to have a clearer idea of the upcoming workloads and choose the most suitable training option for yourself.