According to statistics, in every third patient gastroenterologists reveal serious abnormalities in the work of the gastrointestinal tract. If the patient complains of pain in the stomach and anorectal area, loses weight, he has adverse blood tests, the doctor can prescribe a colonoscopy test. About the preparation to it and useful menu before colonoscopy, we will discuss in this article.
Colonoscopy is a procedure for diagnosing the condition of the large intestine. With its help, it is possible to detect neoplasm or damage to the mucous membrane in time. Sometimes it is carried out to control the restoration of the intestine after surgery or prescribed treatment. To the patient was comfortable, anesthesia, modern sedative, and pain medications are used.
There are two types of colonoscopy:
- Virtual. The computer simulates two or three-dimensional images of the intestine based on the tomography data. This procedure is less informative since it does not show damage or formation less than 5 mm.
- Invasive. For examination, an endoscope or probe is used. It is injected into the lumen of the rectum. At the same time, to increase the bowel, a small amount of air is additionally supplied. In most cases, patients do not experience discomfort, general anesthesia is used in rare cases (adhesions, low pain threshold, patient less than 12 years).
Diagnosis takes up to 15 minutes. Sometimes there is also a treatment (removal of polyps, taking samples of tissues).
Contraindications to the colonoscopy:
- A probability of peritonitis.
- Acute cardiac or pulmonary insufficiency.
- The general or common serious condition.
- Exacerbation of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Ischemic colitis.
- Massive intestinal lesion.
Prepare for three days before the procedure. First of all, cleanse the intestines from stools, which make it difficult to view and pass the probe. This can be done with enemas or laxatives.
The diet before colonoscopy of the intestine is no less important.
Basic principles of the diet:
- The diet should be lean.
- On the eve of the study, you need to refrain from dinner, the survey is conducted on an empty stomach.
- If you are taking any medications, you need additional medical advice.
- For 5 days before the procedure, the menu should not include products with coarse fiber, whole grains or bones.
- Observe the drinking regime (not less than 1,5 liters of water per day).
- The diet is called slag-free. Due to the fact that the body is not used to such a regime, you can feel weakness. Consumed low-calorie foods well dampen the feeling of hunger, but completely provide the body with energy can not.
- The diet is not considered complete, therefore longer than 3-4 days should not last.
- The basis of the diet – liquid soups, broths, cereals.
Approximate menu before colonoscopy
Nutrition before colonoscopy should be balanced.
An approximate menu might look like this:
- steam omelet
- coffee with dry biscuits
- instead of eggs can be buckwheat or rice porridge
- skimmed cottage cheese
- boiled fish
- green tea
- half a banana or
- baked apple without skin
The last meal should be no later than 14 hours of the day before the colonoscopy. Later this term is allowed to use sweetened green tea, allowed juices, broth, plain water, mineral water without gas.
You need to follow not only the menu before colonoscopy but also adhere to a special diet after colonoscopy of the intestine.
Menu after colonoscopy should be gentle. To eat it is necessary fractional to exclude excessive loading on a gastrointestinal tract. In the diet should be present easily assimilated products, enriched with vitamins, macro- and microelements. Such nutrition reduces the risk of developing infectious diseases of the intestine, as well as the possibility of bleeding from the lower parts of the digestive tract.
It is important to exclude after the procedure of overeating and eating heavy food, which is long digested.
For 20 hours before the colonoscopy, you can consume only liquid food (broth, tea, water).
Menu before colonoscopy for 3 days
- For breakfast: rice porridge (180), tea.
- For lunch: vegetable soup-puree (200g), boiled fish (100g).
- For an afternoon snack: a glass of yogurt.
- For dinner: buckwheat porridge (150), boiled fish (100).
- For breakfast: cottage cheese casserole (180).
- For lunch: broth (120), boiled meat (120).
- For an afternoon snack: tea with a biscuit.
- For dinner: rice porridge (150), tea.
- For breakfast: liquid oatmeal (150).
- For lunch: broth meat (150g).
- At noon and dinner – kefir and tea.
Diet after the colonoscopy for the first time remains. Gradually introduce vegetables and fruits, but restrict the consumption of fatty foods, canned food, sweets, bakery products. Non-dietary products are added by 1-2 per week. Do not overeat, eat 5-6 once a day a little, so as not to overload the digestive organs.
Important! Gentle menu after colonoscopy is important because during the procedure the mucosa of the gastrointestinal tract can be damaged.