The chic assortment of the modern product market allows even an inexperienced mistress to be known as an expert culinary specialist. In this artichoke is easy to help. What it is? – You ask in perplexity.
It turns out that this exotic plant, which due to its unique properties and taste will certainly become the highlight of not only the festive table, even the artichoke will occupy a worthy place in the home medicine cabinet and women's cosmetic bag.
We get acquainted and study
A perennial herbal plant at first sight strikes its monumental power: its height can reach up to 2 meters, and the flower width is 20 cm. Visually it looks like an augmented a hundredfold astra, and inflorescences on cones that bristle like a good thistle, whose relative artichoke and is (look at the photo).
Perhaps, because of his unusual appearance, the attitude to artichoke is ambiguous among different peoples. In Australia, for example, this plant is periodically wrestled, considering a malignant weed, and in Italy artichoke is considered a symbol of exquisite taste and is the king of Italian cuisine.
And if in Australia it grows quite independently, then in most countries it is necessary to make efforts to grow this unique plant.
How artichokes are grown
The birthplace of artichoke is Sicily. But, in order to fill the kitchen with a delicate aroma of a flower, it is not necessary to go so far or run to the store.
- There are more 50 species of this plant, but you only need to acquire seeds from the varieties suitable for food, namely: Sultan, Gourmet, Violet and Laons. In early March, the seeds are soaked for a week in wet gauze, the white roots that have appeared are quenched in a refrigerator for a couple of days at a temperature regime of 0-2 degrees. In mid-March, the seeds are sown in small boxes, the soil of which must be constantly moist, but not filled;
- At the first birth of a leaf, it is necessary to discard the seedlings in separate containers, taking into account the high growth of the plant, the seedlings at the time of planting can reach 35 cm. To form a strong rhizome, the tender spine of the seedling should be pricked. In the 3-4 phase, the leaves should be tempered again, gradually reducing the temperature in the room. Waiting for the warm weather in May, the seedlings are planted;
- Earth in the garden is prepared for a fortnight before the landing, mulching with the addition of organic fertilizer. The distance between the holes should be at least 80 cm, in each hole during the planting, add a little mineral fertilizer and 1 \ 2 a glass of ash, ideally – birch.
Artichoke is not whimsical and does not require special care. Shop fertilizers, he prefers mullein and chicken droppings. Together with the usual weeding and loosening of the soil, the plant will present a product with unique properties.
Benefits and harms of an exotic plant
The composition of the artichoke is a magic pantry filled with vitamin B, minerals, iron, potassium and sodium.
The peculiarity of this plant is low caloric content, minimal amount of proteins and carbohydrates, which, in turn, get into the body, turn into easily perceived fructose.
Important biological substances are needed not only for diabetics and people with increased body weight, they are useful for other physical problems:
- Artichoke acids – apple, lemon, quinine and glycolic – contribute to the process of decomposition of kidney stones;
- Inulin balances the level of sugar in the blood system, fructose prevents the increase of sugar;
- Artichoke tsinarin will relieve blood of excess cholesterol in atherosclerosis;
- Salts of sodium and potassium reduce the increased acidity of the stomach in the inflammatory process of the gastrointestinal tract;
- Sodium in the composition of artichoke helps to remove puffiness;
- Vegetable has a diuretic and choleretic action.
Damage to the artichoke can only cause people with low blood pressure, so hypotonia should be extremely careful to eat the vegetable in its natural form. But as a ready-made medical product, it is completely harmless and very useful.
We offer you an excerpt from the program of Elena Malysheva, from which you will learn a lot of useful information about artichokes:
Application in medicine and cosmetology
In medicinal preparations – decoctions and infusions – only the leaves and root of the plant are used. It is the extract from the leaves that helps to lower the cholesterol level in the blood.
Infusions from the root are recommended for use in dropsy or usual urine retention.
In folk medicine, a mixture of artichoke juice with honey is famous. This magical remedy perfectly heals ulcers with thrush and stomatitis.
But the main role of medical concentrates with artichoke is to cleanse the body of toxins, even in the time of Catherine II healers were treated with his decoctions of gout and jaundice.
In cosmetology, not only the leaves of the plant are important, but the head itself is also a basket.
Age changes in the skin can be stopped, if once a week to use artichoke funds at home.
It will restore and tighten the skin of the face and neck, an elementary procedure: in your favorite night cream it is enough to add on 2 drops on one portion of the pharmacy extract from the inflorescences of artichoke. Its regular application will give a radiant result.
The result of using artichoke is multiplied by a factor of one hundred times with simultaneous acceptance of the plant for food. Just remember that the harmful qualities of this product directly depend on its size.
Ignorance of the right choice of inflorescences for cooking dishes from artichoke can lead to indigestion, and even poisoning.
How to choose and prepare an artichoke for use in cooking
To astonish others with a prepared exclusivity, you need to go through all the steps of the laborious process of selecting and preparing an artichoke for use:
- We choose. Do not be shy when shopping, it's especially important tactile sensations. A good unopened basket, which goes to food, should be firm and heavy. Lethargy and friability speaks about the old age of the fetus, and the inflorescence of an adult plant is of little use for cooking. When lightly squeezed in the palm of your hand, you should clearly hear an easy creak. Avoiding brown and brown color, quality artichoke cone is colored in natural green color with a possible purple tint. For cooking, medium-sized artichokes are recommended with a small chicken egg;
- Clean. First of all, the leg is cleaned, after which it is cut off for root under the root (you can leave it), but it is not thrown away, but put in lemon-acidified water. Then the damaged upper leaves are removed, the sharp part with spines on the remaining scales is also sent to the scrap. Then you need to trim the top of the cone, not forgetting to treat the cut with a lemon. In the remaining basket, if you carefully slide the petals, you can see the hairy cap of the core – it is absolutely inedible, therefore subject to a ruthless liquidation by an ordinary spoon. The scrubbed should be thoroughly rinsed with water and attached to the native peduncle in acidified water. Everything, miniature "pineapples" are ready to amaze with the most delicate aroma and nutty taste.
The easiest, but very delicious way to cook this exotic delicacy – bake in the oven.
See a video on how to do it right:
Cooking and enjoy!
In order to culinary masterpieces from artichoke left only pleasant memories, you must observe the basic rule: the artichoke can not be cooked in pottery made of ceramics and metal, the ideal container is a glass pan.
An easy dish, the caloric content of which at the output is only 60 calories, will please its gentle taste of people watching their figure.
- Artichoke fruits – 300;
- Cherry tomatoes – 5 pcs .;
- Ruccola leaves – 1 small bundle;
- Celery root – 1 pcs .;
- Cheese Parmesan – 150 g;
- Balsamic vinegar for refueling.
- We cook the prepared basket of artichoke in the same water in which it was soaked. The small fruit is enough 25 minutes, larger will not hurt to pounce 40 minutes. The artichoke is ready to be tested in the potato way: pierce the fruit with a fork and take it out of the water in case of soft penetration;
- While the vegetable is boiled, prepare the rest of the ingredients. We wash the leaves of the arugula, if necessary we will. Tomatoes must be cut into halves or quarters. We add the celery root stranded with straws and grated cheese on a fine grater;
- All products are connected by adding the main attribute – an arbitrarily cut artichoke;
- We fill it with balsamic vinegar and serve it to the table.
And now we will try to prepare a hot dish for the second with this plant according to an easy recipe in the video below. It's so delicious that you can not resist and go for the purchase of artichokes, in order to cook such a yummy!
- Artichokes – 500;
- Ham – 150;
- Flour – 1 st. l .;
- Carrots – 2 pcs .;
- Turnip – 1 pcs .;
- Green peas – 250 g;
- Bean pods – 3 pcs .;
- Onions – 1 head;
- Olive oil – 3 st. l.
- Salt – to taste.
- Cut finely onion with carrots, sliced mugs, you need to fry in olive oil;
- Ham cut into cubes and add to the frying capacity, after 3 minutes to the contents of the kettle you need to pour in the flour and immediately pour the water so that it covers the overcombed ingredients on the 3 finger. Continue cooking by lowering the heat;
- Cleaned artichokes and turnips into cubes. The beans are chopped along and divided into 3 equal parts, peas peeled from the top shell. All the prepared ingredients add to the pan, salt and cook for another 20-30 minutes;
- If desired, in each serving of the prepared soup, put half the hard boiled egg and your favorite greens.
Culinary recipes for fat-burning soups are found here. This is another escape from hunger during a diet. Good luck in losing weight and believe in yourself!
Do you like seafood? Then you probably bought a frozen sea cocktail more than once. About its composition, benefits and how to cook, but more delicious, read the next article. Our experts are trying for you!
- 2 a glass of rice;
- 5 cloves of garlic;
- 2 heads of medium-sized onions;
- 500 artichoke;
- 300 of the young veal;
- 1,3 st. white wine;
- 1 l. meat broth;
- 200 of Parmesan cheese;
- 1 a small bunch of fresh parsley;
- 100 g of vegetable oil;
- Salt and pepper – to taste.
- Cut the onions into half rings, cleaned artichokes into halves, veal into small pieces. Squeeze out the garlic – all combine and fry on a small amount of vegetable oil 10 minutes;
- To fried foods pour washed rice, fry, stirring constantly, until the rice is darkened. Then pour the wine and rice with the vegetables until it evaporates;
- The same process with the broth: pour a little broth, wait until the rice absorbs the liquid, and add the broth again. Typically, the procedure takes 20-25 minutes for the full availability of cereals. With the last portion of the broth we add pepper and salt to taste;
- Season with chopped parsley and grated Parmesan cheese.
The uniqueness of the artichoke lies in the functionality of its use. Presenting in the garden careful care unpretentious vegetable, you can at home become an ideal beautician.
Moreover, it will not be necessary to buy imported medicines using natural artichoke treatment. And in the kitchen an exquisite delicatessen will undoubtedly become king, as Peter I did not start eating, if there were no artichokes on the menu.
To your attention one more bewitching video-recipe – potatoes baked with artichokes and olives. Enjoy your appetite!
In Russia, I did not meet him on sale. Is that in Moscow and St. Petersburg. But in Europe is free to sell. The taste is specific, I do not even know what it is like and how to describe it.)
come to Kemerovo sold in almost every store