Bench press a narrow grip in Smith's car – the technique of doing the exercise:
- Place a horizontal bench in Smith's machine. Place the bar in the posts at such a height that you can easily reach it with arms outstretched lying on the bench. Choose the weight you want, lie on the bench. Using a narrow, penetrated grip (palms facing forward, brushes shoulder width apart), remove the bar from the racks. This will be your starting position.
- On inhalation slowly lower the bar to the middle of the chest. Hint: watch the elbows, they should be next to the trunk.
- After a short pause on exhalation, return the bar to its original position, straining the triceps. Straighten your hands, again pause, then slowly lower the bar. Hint: the downward movement should take twice as long as moving up.
- Carry out the necessary number of repetitions.
- After completing the exercise, return the bar to the posts.
Attention: if you are doing this exercise for the first time, we recommend that you use the help of a partner. If this is not possible, be careful when choosing the weight.
Variations: You can also perform this exercise using a regular or EZ barbell or dumbbells (holding them with a neutral grip).