Prostate adenoma is a benign, chronic, actively progressive prostate disease associated with age. Characterized by the development of glandular-stromal hyperplasia prostate cancer, which occurs against the background of age-related imbalance of sex hormones with a gradual increase in symptoms of the lower urinary tract (increased frequency of urination, decreased urination rate, accumulation of residual urine).
The incidence increases with age and in men older than 70 years, morphological signs of benign prostatic hyperplasia occur already in 65-70%. Despite the benign nature of the tumor, a high rate of progression contributes to a deterioration in quality of life, manifested by disorders of urination and an increased risk of acute urinary retention and malignancy (degeneration into a malignant tumor). Treatment of the disease is complex, depending on the stage. In the initial (1-2 stage) conservative treatment methods are used, in the later stages (3-4) an operation is performed to remove the prostate.
The diet with prostate adenoma is an obligatory component of complex treatment. The diet is based on the principles of rational nutrition with a predominant content of vegetable and dairy products and low in animal fats. Such power allows maintaining the required level Testosterone and ensures the intake of sufficient quantities antioxidants, slowing down the aging process. In addition, a diet high in plant protein reduces the risk of complications.
The main source of animal protein should be dietary meats, dairy products, low-fat fish. From fats, it is necessary to exclude refractory animal fats, preferring fats of vegetable origin. Carbohydrates should be present mainly in the form of complex carbohydrates (cereals, vegetables, fruits) with the restriction of refined sugar.
To reduce the growth rate of the gland tissue in the diet, foods rich in polyunsaturated acids and trace elements (zinc and selenium) should be present. vitamins E и А. Therefore, in the diet should constantly be present vegetable oils (pumpkin, olive, sunflower), red fish, sardines, tuna, mackerel, foods rich in zinc – herring, seafood, flax seed, lean red meat, wheat bran, oysters, sesame seeds, watermelon seeds and pumpkin, dry yeast and selenium (sea kale, brewer’s yeast, corn, offal, coarse flour, rice, buckwheat, bran), and, vitamin E (oil from sprouted wheat, green peas, corn oil, chicken eggs, soybean oil and soy products, vegetable greens).
To better assimilate microelements, which occurs when there is a diet vitamin A, it is desirable to include fish oil in the diet. It is important to monitor the function of the intestines, not allowing constipation. This problem is solved by including in the diet products containing a lot of fiber (bran, seasonal vegetables, fruits, vegetable greens, cereals from whole grains, grain bread). Normalization of bowel function is promoted by prunes, beets, fresh apricots, carrots, plums.
In case of exacerbation of the course of the disease, it is necessary to exclude foods that irritate the prostate tissue – concentrated meat / fish broths, salt, smoked products, sauces (ketchup, mayonnaise), fatty and fried foods, spicy spices, strong coffee and tea, fried eggs, sausages, alcohol (especially beer), all sharp vegetables (radish, daikon, horseradish, onions, ginger, radish, garlic), marinades, pickles, drinks containing carbonic acid, fast food, and foods containing various food additives.
The amount of fluid used in uncomplicated prostate adenoma is not limited, but it is desirable to redistribute it within 24 hours with the consumption of the bulk of the liquid in the first half of the day, and in the remaining time, the amount of liquid is reduced, with the discontinuation of its use for 2-3 hours before bedtime. As a liquid you can use pure water, sour-milk drinks, herbal teas, freshly prepared juices, broth of dogrose, compotes, bicarbonate-sodium mineral water. It is useful to include in the diet food products of beekeeping – royal jelly, honey, flower pollen, pergue, propolis, as well as immunomodulators of plant origin – mummy, aloe extract, echinacea, elecampane.
Diet after removal operation BPH in principle does not differ, however, in the first days after the operation, special attention is paid to preventing constipation, an increase in the amount of fluid consumed (up to 2,5-3 l / day) in the daytime, if there are no restrictions on the part of the cardiovascular system and restriction of fluid intake after 19 hours.
It is useful to use infusions / herbal decoctions, which have a diuretic and anti-inflammatory effect – decoction of cranberry leaves, cranberry-cranberry juice, broth of dogrose, celandine, bear ears, rowan fruit. Also, nutrition after removal of the prostate adenoma provides for the complete exclusion of all products that have irritating effect throughout the rehabilitation period.
The diet for prostate adenoma includes:
- Eating cereal / vegetable vegetarian soups without frying.
- Use of boiled meat of dietary species (veal, beef, rabbit, chicken, turkey), low-fat fish (mackerel, flounder, pink salmon, herring) in baked, boiled and stewed without the addition of spicy spices. For garnishes recommended to use whole grains porridge, cooked on the water.
- Inclusion in the diet of products containing polyunsaturated fatty acids, zinc, selenium, vitamin E (pumpkin seeds, seafood, wheat bran, oysters, offal, herring, dry brewer’s yeast, sesame, corn groats, flax seed, green peas, brown rice, sea cabbage, germinated wheat sprouts, soybean oil, nuts, bran, quail eggs, buckwheat, oil from sprouted wheat, corn oil).
- Mandatory inclusion in the diet of various sour-milk products (yogurt, yogurt, unsweetened yogurt, fermented baked milk, acidophilus milk).
- Sufficient content of raw and cooked (boiled, baked, stewed) vegetables – broccoli, carrots, beets, peppers, zucchini, celery, eggplants, potatoes, as well as fruits and dishes based on them.
- As a liquid it is recommended to use herbal teas, pure boiled water, freshly prepared juices and fruit drinks, non-carbonated table water, weak green tea, compotes, broth of wild rose, cranberries and cranberries, sour-milk drinks.