Squats on one leg (the famous "pistol", etc.) – part of a diverse group of squats, which have a significant effect on the muscles of the lower limbs and stimulate the development of the muscular framework as a whole.
What is useful to know about the features of squats on one leg
Squats and half-squats on one leg are popular with professional athletes and bodybuilders, as well as with beginners. The correct technique and competent technique of training, using this exercise, will help:
- growth of muscle mass due to increased production of growth hormones and testosterone;
- to remove excess weight. Developed muscles can burn more calories in the process of training, and in the recovery phase;
- improve performance by increasing the threshold of fatigue (the technique of training for "pistols" requires the exercise "to failure");
- confidently cope with other exercises that require strength endurance and coordination (press kicking with weights, lifting on calves and the like).
"Pistoletik" and its variations are not as simple as squats on two legs, but they have a number of advantages that make them include in the "diet" of training.
- Loaded large and small muscle groups, which are difficult to work out other exercises, including. usual squats.
- Develop coordination of movements, flexibility, speed.
- Prevent a possible imbalance of muscle loads on the legs, which manifests itself in standard squats, because one leg is always leading.
- They improve the mobility of a whole group of joints: ankle, knee, hip. Strengthens the periarticular tendons and ligaments.
- Do not carry a significant burden on the spine and are an alternative for persons who are contraindicated with working with the bar.
- Do not require special simulators, are performed at home.
Ideal loads do not exist and squats on one leg is no exception.
- The load on the knee joint is high.
- It is difficult to maintain balance.
- Requires good initial physical training. It is difficult for beginners and the need for preliminary work with the training exercises (standard sit-ups, jumps, running).
Groups of muscles involved in the exercise
Squats on one leg carry a doubled load on the muscles of the lower limbs, and actively involve the muscles of the press (creating a certain pressure on the internal organs), the lumbar spine and the spine.
- the main "heaviness" falls on the quadriceps (quadriceps) and the whole group of gluteal muscles;
- In addition, the biceps muscle (biceps), muscles of the inner, anterior and posterior surface of the thigh, and the lower leg are loaded.
- straight and oblique abdominal muscles;
- square muscles;
- large and small lumbar.
- back straightener.
A whole group of auxiliary muscles, tendons and ligaments also participate in the work.
How to avoid mistakes and learn how to "sit down" on one leg
The correct technique of performing any physical exercise is the guarantee of its effectiveness. To master the technical nuances of the "pistol" is best in stages, starting with the lightweight options.
The vast majority of people will not be able to perform squats on one leg without support even once. The problem is not only the preparedness of a certain group of muscles, but also the unusual movement that requires a certain skill in maintaining body balance and overall coordination.
If the physical condition is not "at the level", then it will be necessary to start with preparatory exercises (squats standard and with weights, length jumps, stretching exercises, etc.). The next step will be lightweight squats on one leg.
A conclusive exercise, in which you do not need to take a straight forward leg. It is enough to keep the second leg in a free position and rely on some fixed elevation (for example, to install a box near the wall).
In structure it is a high-grade "pistol", but it is executed with a support by one or two hands. For two hands it is convenient to use the door (grip handles on both sides, the door between the legs), one chair can support a chair or a sofa.
"Pistol with a shoulder support"
In this task, support is provided only when necessary, in the event of a loss of balance (it is allowed to lightly touch the fixed support with the shoulder). With a squat arm, pull forward.
Technique of squatting on one leg without supports
- the initial position is the "legs wider than the shoulders" stand;
- to shift the weight of the body to one leg (support), the second slightly to raise. The arms are extended forward to hold the equilibrium position;
- sit on the supporting leg, while straightening the second leg forward;
- the body moves forward to maintain equilibrium;
- position of the final phase of movement: the calf muscle of the supporting leg is pressed to the bicep, the projection of the knee goes beyond the toe line, the second leg is located horizontally to the floor surface;
- push off (not abruptly) from the heel of the supporting leg, lifting the pelvis and unbending the knee joint. Stand up, putting your elongated leg to the supporting leg.
Typical errors encountered even by athletes
- shifting the weight of the body from the heel to the toe and tearing the heel off the floor – is fraught with a foot injury, especially if the body weight is significant;
- too much knee-bend for the sock (due to an imbalance in the transfer of body weight – "tipping" forward) – the knee joint is overloaded at an unusual angle.
If the exercise is hard, it is recommended to start with a small squat amplitude, increasing it gradually, from occupation to occupation. If you can not immediately master the squatting on the full foot (tearing off the heel), you can put a bar under the heel.
Depending on the goals of the training and the level of preparedness of those involved, you can select different options for the exercise. Squats with weights, in the simulator, semi-squats, attacks, etc. are used.
This type of exercise refers to a low category of complexity, so it is available to the contingent with varying degrees of physical readiness. Athletes can increase the degree of complexity by increasing the depth of squats.
- become back to the wall at a distance of 50 cm, the legs are wider than the shoulders, straight arms extend forward;
- Sit down so that the angle of bending of the knees and hip joints is 90 degree. The head, the upper back and the pelvis touch the wall.
- The weight of the body is transferred to the supporting leg, the second one is raised in front of you;
- try to keep this position for about a minute;
- change your legs and repeat the task.
Complicated option – to lower the hip below the knee
Exercise is aimed at the growth of muscle mass and the development of endurance. The main load on the muscles of the thighs.
Type of squats requiring good preparation. It is necessary to ensure a stable position of the body in the dynamics, because The technique of execution requires a rearrangement of the legs with the change of the support base.
I.p .: legs on the width of the thighs, body weight falls on the center of the feet;
- To step one foot back and sit down in a deep lung;
- To fix a pose in which the angle of the bend in the knee of the forward leg is 90 degrees, and the second leg with the knee practically touches the floor;
- Move the hips forward, return to the i.p.
Strengthen the effect can be setting the foreleg to the step-platform, performing a backstab. Exercise is great for stretching the muscles of the thigh.
Squats with weights supported by a fitball
Exercise is suitable for beginner and intermediate level of preparation. As an additional inventory we use fitball and dumbbells. The load goes to the muscles of the buttocks, thighs, lower legs, the press, the waist.
- bend the right leg and place it on the back of the fitball;
- Hand with dumbbells lowered;
- make a half-squat, while the projection of the knee should not extend beyond the sock line, and the angle does not reach 90 ;;
- without a pause, return to the IP.
Training standards for different levels of training
Squats on one leg, "pistol" refers to the category of increased complexity and is not always given to people with a lot of weight or height. Experts argue that other types of squats on one leg can replace an inaccessible "pistol" with an efficiency of up to 80%.
The main contraindication, to the use of exercises with squatting on one leg, are injuries and diseases of the knee joint.
A precaution is also a high risk of injury, because exercises are associated with the need to maintain equilibrium in dynamics and static positions. At the initial stage of training it is expedient to use insurance in the form of supports, or to resort to the help of a partner.
Squats on one leg are among the exercises using their own weight. Discussion about what is best, by foot press or squats, continues at all levels – from professional bodybuilders to research institutes on physical education problems. The optimal solution is to be found in the individual approach – habits, preferences and goals of a particular athlete or athlete. Many people use a combination of press and squats, spreading them in time to prevent overload of muscles.
Prolonged, persistent pain in the legs or a crunch in the knee joints is an unequivocal signal for a doctor's visit. we can talk about the development of a chronic disease.
Useful tips on the technique of doing sit-ups on one leg can be found in the following video:
Systematic exercises, using squats on one leg, will ensure high results in achieving a harmonious development of a large group of muscles and bring a variety in the training process.
A good drug, most importantly – do not overdo it with a dosage, which seems to have been a couple of times.
Hey. I even did not know that there are such drugs for slimming, and it's very good to make them in syrups, pills, tablets.
And women also 3-4 times a week doing exercises?
Exercise for stretching is only for those who are professionally engaged in their body for example bodybuilders.