Today we will consider the best basic multi-joint exercise for training leg muscles – squats with a barbell on the shoulders. Without this exercise, you are unlikely to be able to pump a huge ham. Moreover, squats contribute not only to increasing the strength and weight of the muscles of the legs, but also the whole body. In short, the exercise is very effective. Nevertheless, most people in the hall either do not know how to squat or do not squat at all. How correctly to squat with a bar?
Squats with a barbell on the shoulders
Squats with a barbell on the shoulders – the most effective multi-joint exercise for increasing strength and muscle mass of the legs. The exercise uses 2 / 3 of all the muscles of the body, therefore it perfectly loads the CNS (central nervous system, which helps to release a lot of natural anabolic hormones into the blood, which leads to an increase in muscle mass and strength.) Depending on the diet, squats can be used as to increase muscle mass and strength, and for weight loss.
Technique of doing sit-ups with a barbell
1. First of all, you need to adjust the height of the squats for the squats so that the bar of the bar is at the level of the middle or the top of the chest.
2. Grasp the neck slightly wider than the width of the shoulders, sit under the bar so that the bar is located on the trapezius muscles.
3. Remove the bar from the racks and make 1-2 small steps back so that nothing prevents you from crouching with the barbell on your shoulders.
4. Place your feet slightly wider than the width of your shoulders, and swing your socks out at an angle of about 45 degrees. The legs are slightly bent at the knees. Move the scapula together and bend slightly back. Look straight ahead.
5. Take a breath and start slowly pulling the pelvis back, while bending the legs in the knee joints. Hold the deflection in the lower back. Crouch down to the parallel with the floor.
6. Having reached the bottom point of the amplitude, with the accented effort of the quadriceps, go back to the starting position, doing thus exhaling. Do the following repetition.
7. After you have made the necessary number of repetitions, make 1-2 small steps forward and gently lower the bar to the posts. After this, the approach is considered complete.
Squats with a barbell on the shoulders: recommendations from the author
1. Always warm up thoroughly before training. Before you start doing sit-ups with a barbell on your shoulders with your working weight, do a few warm-up approaches starting with an empty neck and gradually increasing weight.
2. Always wear a belt for squats if you squat with large weights. This will help you not only take more weight, but also protect your lower back from injury.
3. Crouch down slowly, without sudden movements. Try to feel how the muscles of the front surface of the thigh and the buttocks contract and stretch.
4. The wider the setting of the legs, the more the load is shifted to the inner surface of the thigh. The already the setting of the legs, the greater the load on the outer quadriceps area. The optimal width of the setting of the legs is slightly wider than the shoulders, the socks are turned outwards at an angle of 45 degrees.
5. Make sure that during the squatting the heels do not come off the floor, but the knees do not move inward and do not move apart.
6. Muscles of the feet consist mainly of red (hardy) slow fibers. Therefore, if your goal is to maximize the volume of the leg muscles, I recommend doing 12-20 repetitions in the approach. For straightness enough 3-4 approaches.