Treatment of diabetes mellitus 1 type involves a set of measures, in particular – adherence to a special diet that helps diabetics feel comfortable without jumping blood sugar. So, how to eat with such a serious diagnosis, we will tell in this material.
Principles of nutrition in diabetes 1 type
The main principle of dietary nutrition for diabetes type 1 – is to enrich your menu with products that have carbohydrates with a low glycemic index.
What foods are allowed to diabetics
In diabetic nutrition, the following products are allowed:
- Rye bread;
- soup on vegetable broth or on broth from low-fat varieties of fish and meat;
- chicken breasts;
- vegetables from the approved list;
- eggs (no more than two pieces per day);
- macaroni from a meal of a rough grinding (thus it is necessary to lower quantity of consumed bread in day);
- milk and yogurt;
- cottage cheese (from 50 to 200 grams per day);
- not strong coffee;
- freshly squeezed juices from apples or oranges;
- cream and vegetable oil (preferably used only for cooking).
Patients who are overweight, nutritionists recommend to include in your diet cabbage (fresh and sour), spinach, green peas, cucumbers with tomatoes. These products help to satisfy the feeling of hunger for a long time.
To maintain the function of the liver, which is constantly under attack during the described diagnosis, it is necessary to lean on such products as cottage cheese, soy, oatmeal.
What foods are prohibited for diabetics?
There are a number of products that are strictly contraindicated for diabetics of 1 type:
- chocolate (in rare cases, bitter chocolate is allowed, if approved by the attending physician);
- any sweets and candies;
- floury sweets;
- smoked products;
- spicy, spicy and salty dishes;
- bananas, watermelon, melon;
- dates and raisins;
- boiled potatoes, carrots, beets, squash;
- rice and semolina;
- ice cream;
- dairy products with a high percentage of fat.
In some cases, some prohibited products are still allowed in the menu if approved by the attending physician.
Detailed diabetic menu for the week
The daily menu for diabetics is designed for caloric intake up to 1400 kcal, which allows you to reduce weight if the patient is suffering from obesity. If there are no such problems, then it is possible to increase the amount of servings according to their needs.
- First meal: 0,1-0,2 kg pearl barley, 50 grams of hard cheese, a slice of rye bread and tea without sugar or not strong coffee (you can add low-fat cream).
- Second meal: 0,1-0,2 kg of salad from any allowed vegetable, 0,2 kg of borscht on low fat broth, two cutlets cooked on a steak, together with 0,2 kg of stewed cabbage, a slice of rye bread.
- Snack after lunch: 100 grams of curd or 3 cheese cake, 100 grams of fruit jelly (no added sugar).
- Dinner: 130 gram of vegetable salad and 0,1 kg of cooked white meat. Half an hour before bedtime, you can drink a glass of low-fat kefir.
- First meal: Omelet of two eggs, 60 grams of cooked veal, a slice of rye bread and one tomato, from beverages sugarless tea or not strong coffee.
- Lunch: 170 gram of salad from any allowed vegetable, 100 gram of chicken breast (baked or boiled), 100 gram of pumpkin porridge (no rice added).
- Snack after lunch: One grapefruit and a glass of low-fat kefir.
- Dinner: 230 gram of cabbage stew, 100 grams of boiled fish.
- Breakfast: 200 grams of meat stuffed cabbage rolls (no rice added), a slice of wholemeal bread and tea without sugar.
- Second meal: 100 grams of salad from any permitted vegetable, 100 gram of spaghetti from wholemeal flour, 100 grams of cooked meat or fish, half a glass of freshly squeezed apple juice (with sugar replacer).
- Snack after lunch: fruit tea without sugar and one orange.
- Dinner: 270 grams of curd casserole.
- First meal: 200 gram of oatmeal porridge with pieces of fresh fruit from the allowed list, 70 grams of hard cheese and tea without sugar.
- Lunch: 170 gram of rassolnik, 100 gram of broccoli, a slice of rye bread, 100 gram of stewed lean meat.
- Snack after lunch: tea without sugar and 15 grams of unsweetened biscuits (gallet).
- Dinner: 170 gram of chicken or fish, 200 gram of green beans, tea without sugar.
- First meal: 100 grams of lazy vareniki, 0,2 kg kefir and one apple or peel dried apricots / prunes.
- Second meal: 200 grams of salad from any allowed vegetables, 0,1 kg of baked potatoes, 0,2 kg of compote without sugar.
- Snack before dinner: 100 grams of baked pumpkin, 200 grams of unsweetened mors.
- Dinner: 100 grams of steamed chicken, 0,2 kg of salad from any permitted vegetable.
- First meal: 30 gram of slightly salted salmon, one egg and tea without sugar.
- Lunch: 0,1-0,2 kg cabbage rolls (no rice added), 0,2 kg borscht on low fat broth, a slice of rye bread.
- Snack after lunch: 2 loaf and 150 gram kefir low-fat.
- Dinner: 0,1 kg chicken fillet baked or boiled, 100 grams of fresh peas, 170 gram of eggplant stew.
- First meal: 200 gram of buckwheat porridge cooked on water, braised chicken, tea without sugar or loose coffee.
- Lunch: 200 gram or vegetable soup, two chicken cutlets, 0,1 kg of stewed beans in tomato sauce and a slice of rye bread.
- Snack after lunch: 100 grams of fresh plums and the same amount of low-fat cottage cheese.
- Dinner: 170 grams of low-fat kefir and 20 grams of unsweetened (biscuit) cookies, one apple.
This system of nutrition for 7 days allows the use of various herbal infusions, especially useful is the broth of dogrose. Herbal decoctions and infusions can be drunk at any time, most importantly – do not mix with them any additives in the form of sugar or honey.
As this menu for a diabetic for a week includes dense breakfasts and lunches, there is no need for a second breakfast. But, if there is an unbearable feeling of hunger in the break between breakfast and lunch, then you should not suffer – you can afford to have a bite with the same vegetable salad or eat natural yogurt and one fruit.
If you are interested in other methods of treatment for diabetes type 1 (except for diet), we recommend that you familiarize yourself with folk methods.
Diet for insulin-dependent diabetics
Diet is the most popular dietary system for diabetes mellitus. The basic rule is – to reduce the use of salt to a minimum, as well as prepare meals for a couple, bake or cook foods. From quenching and frying will have to be abandoned, but since the diet of this food system is not strict, in rare cases you can pamper yourself.
The approximate menu of this diet for one day looks like this:
- Breakfast. Tea without sugar, cottage cheese with a low percentage of fat and the same milk.
- Lunch. Pearl barley with meat.
- Lunch. Borsch, which should include fresh cabbage (cooked on vegetable broth), jelly from fruit, a piece of boiled meat or soy.
- Snack. One apple or one orange.
- Dinner. Cooked or baked fish (baked without batter) in a dairy sauce, fresh cabbage salad dressed with olive oil.
Instead of sugar in the diet, you can use fructose, sucrose and other sweeteners.
Your diet can be adjusted using lists of those products that are allowed in the menu of insulin-dependent diabetes type 1.
If diabetes is found in a child, some experts recommend switching to a balanced carbohydrate diet, where carbohydrates account for 60% of the total diet. But, the consequence of such a diet is a constant jump in blood sugar from very high to very low, which negatively affects the well-being of children. Thus, it is better for children to follow the same diet, where the amount of consumed carbohydrates is reduced.
To make a child’s menu, you can regularly use the following products:
- Vegetable set – cucumber, tomato, cabbage, fresh carrots.
- Basket of berries and fruits – peach, raspberry, cherry, strawberry, apple.
- Meat basket – low-fat veal, chicken.
- Sweets from fructose and sorbitol.
A child should not be given chocolate, jam, baked goods from white flour.
Before the child goes on a low-carbohydrate diet, it’s worth taking care of the following nuances:
- To be able to prevent hypoglycemia, for which it is necessary to always keep a candy or a biscuit.
- During the transition to a diabetic diet, the baby needs to measure glucose in the blood more often – before eating, after 60 minutes after eating, before going to bed. On average, it turns out that the child needs to measure sugar at least 7 times a day, this allows you to pick up the most accurate doses of insulin and reduce them depending on the indicators.
- When the child began to eat on a diet diet, you need to protect him from stress, strong physical exertion, as this can provoke him to use more energy, which he will be carbohydrates. When the diet becomes habitual, it is possible to begin active playing sports.
What to feed a baby with diabetes?
Toddlers, whose nutrition is completely dependent on the mother, it is recommended to keep breastfeeding as long as possible. Breasts diagnosed with diabetes mellitus 1 type, thus, will be able to receive the right and balanced nutrition as long as possible.
If, for some reason, lactation is not possible, then for your children you need to buy special mixtures that have a reduced glucose content. It is extremely important to observe the same intervals between meals.
Lure can be introduced to small patients for up to one year using the following method: the first thing the baby is fed with vegetable purees and juices, but the porridges, in which a lot of carbohydrates, is introduced into the baby’s diet at the very last.
Diabetes mellitus is not a sentence, but a way of life, doctors say. “Tame” your diabetes – it is possible! It is necessary only to regularly monitor the blood sugar level, inject insulin injections and correctly select food products taking into account their glycemic index:
Unfortunately, diabetes is an incurable disease, but so that it does not bother, it is important to follow the rules of treatment, as well as to eat properly. This will help the patient not only feel vigorous and full of energy, but also prevent the occurrence of complications.