What is oregano: a complete description and recipes of dishes
Spicy herbs are widely used both in cooking and for medicinal purposes. One of such spicy plants is oregano. This herb has a bitter, but at the same time "bright" taste.
It can be added to various dishes – salads, seasoned with meat treats, as well as used in the preparation of pizza and other dishes of Italian cuisine. It is also widely used in folk medicine. So what is this unique grass? Let's look at the properties of oregano in more detail.
Oregano: what is it?
The shrub of this plant has several branched stems, which are covered with greyish-green leaves with an oval shape. Also in addition there are small florets of white or pink. The average height of the plant is about ¾ meters. The stem has a dense erect structure.
Oregano is widely known as a condiment. To taste this seasoning has slightly bitter, sharp, warm hues, while its taste is bright enough, strong. Often, this spice obscures the taste of other spices, so use it carefully and in small amounts.
The plant itself, like its name, originated from Greece. From the ancient Greek language the name "oregano" means "the joy of the mountains". The most fragrant varieties of this herb are found on rocks in Italy.
Useful properties of seasoning
The Oregano herb has a lot of useful properties, among which there are the most important:
- It is a medicinal plant that has a strong wound healing effect;
- this herb contains a high level of essential oils, tannins, thymol, carvacrol. Thanks to these components, this plant is many times superior to a variety of antihistamine and antiseptic medicines. Has antimicrobial effect;
- due to the fact that this herb has a high level of tannic substances, when it is used, the body is protected from food poisoning and its consequences, and the growth of bacteria that are ingested with low-quality food is prevented;
- this plant contains a high level of vitamins, namely vitamins of group B, as well as vitamins A, C, K, E. Various macro and trace elements – calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, selenium, phosphorus, manganese. All these components are necessary for the full vital activity of the human body;
- Choline, which contains oregano, has a positive effect on the nervous system, normalizes the metabolism of fat and cholesterol;
- In addition to all the above properties, this plant has a variety of beneficial effects – it has a strengthening, stimulating, diuretic, expectorant, bactericidal, diaphoretic, sedative, disinfectant and immunomodulatory effect.
Corn porridge on milk cooked in a multivark is a satisfying and useful dish, which is very easy to prepare.
Salad with boiled smoked sausage – a simple simple dish to the table. Recipes are here.
Application for medicinal purposes
This plant is often used in folk medicine to eliminate various diseases and disorders of the body. In folk medicine, this plant is used due to its wide range of useful actions:
- Decoctions, tinctures, which are based on oregano, can quickly get rid of poisoning, diarrhea, indigestion, flatulence;
- Oregano plant refers to spasmolytics, which alleviate pain. This plant helps to eliminate headaches, muscle pains;
- Oregano oil can be used for rubbing the back during pains with radiculitis and rheumatism, and it can also be used for grinding during joint pain. With toothache, you can apply a small cotton swab on the patient's tooth with a few drops of the oil of this plant;
- This herb perfectly helps with various disorders of the nervous system.
It spice excellently eliminates various sleep disorders, especially insomnia;
Oregano has been popular for a long time among many culinary specialists. This is all due to the excellent bright taste qualities of this herb. In cooking, dried leaves and kidneys of this plant are used, sometimes fresh leaves are used. This spice is widely used in dishes of Italian and Greek cuisine.
In our diet, this herb is used in the preparation of the following dishes and drinks:
- It is often used in the preparation of various drinks – cocktails, beer, kvass;
- It is widely used for pickling and canning vegetables. Adding this seasoning to the marinade gives the vegetables a bright taste with an unusual bitter taste;
- Oregano often adds to various sauces for meat, fish dishes, vegetables;
- it is added to different vegetable salads;
- spices are often seasoned with baked potatoes, lamb, pork;
- You can put in soups – meat, vegetables, fish;
- in scrambled eggs and omelettes.
Oregano is recommended to be added to the dishes at the very end of cooking.
Beef broth with pearl barley and vegetables
What components will be required:
- beef tenderloin without bones – 1 kilogram;
- bow – 1 head;
- 50 grams of butter or olive oil;
- 100 gram of pearl barley;
- carrot – 1 piece;
- champignons – 250 gram;
- frozen corn – 1 glass;
- 2 cup of meat broth;
- water – 1000 ml;
- 700 gram of tomatoes in its own juice;
- garlic – 2 lobules;
- oregano dried – 1 large spoon;
- salt – 1 ch.lozhka;
- celery – 1 stalk;
- a pinch of black ground pepper;
- parsley – 5-6 twigs.
The cooking period is 4,5-5 hours, caloric content is 180 kcal.
- To begin with, cut out the cut, cut the entire film and excess fat;
- Cut into small pieces at your discretion, sprinkle salt on all sides and pepper;
- In a saucepan with a thick bottom we spread the oil and place it on the fire;
- As soon as the oil warms up there it is necessary to lay out pieces of meat and fry on all sides for 5-7 minutes;
- Next, cut the onions together with garlic, fall asleep in beef, reduce fire and cover with a lid;
- Leave all to languish for 3 hours, if necessary, pour a little water;
- After that, using forks directly into a saucepan, the meat is cut into small pieces;
- After that we fall asleep pearl rump, we spread tomatoes in own juice, we fill broth and water. All is well stirred;
- Next, season with salt and oregano, add the fire and boil it to a boil;
- Reduce heat and leave to cook for 30 minutes;
- Meanwhile, carrots and mushrooms are washed and cut into small pieces;
- Stem of celery and parsley shred in small pieces;
- After 30 minutes in the soup, spread carrots with mushrooms, add corn and sprinkle everything with parsley and celery;
- Leave to boil for 20-25 minutes until ready.
Potatoes baked with lemon and oregano
For cooking we will need:
- a half kilogram of potatoes;
- 100 ml of olive oil;
- ½ tablespoon oregano;
- 1 lemon;
- a little salt.
The cooking time is 1 hour, the calorie content is 120 kcal.
- To begin with, the potatoes must be peeled off, thoroughly washed with cool water;
- Next, put it in a saucepan, fill it with water, add salt and cook it;
- After the potatoes boil, you need to drain the water, shake well in the tubers in a saucepan;
- Grease the baking tray with butter;
- In a separate bowl, mix oregano and olive oil;
- Put the potatoes on the surface of the pan;
- With a special brush, grease the potatoes with a spicy mixture;
- Lemon should be wiped on all sides on a fine grater, we need only zest;
- Sprinkle the potatoes with a grated zest;
- Warm the oven to 200 degrees and place a baking sheet with potatoes;
- Leave to bake for 15 minutes until a golden crust appears.
Than you can replace oregano
If suddenly there is no given herb at hand or in stores it is absent, then it can be replaced with other spices, namely:
- "Mixture of Provencal herbs" – this seasoning includes oregano grass;
- Oregano can be replaced with basil. These herbs are considered interchangeable. To bring the basil closer to the taste of oregano, you can add several leaves of dried or finely chopped fresh mint;
- an excellent substitute may be thyme;
- finely chopped dill with parsley;
- mixture of ground cumin and marjoram.
Harm and contraindications to the use of oregano
Although this herb has a lot of useful properties, but sometimes it can do harm. Do not use it in large quantities, otherwise nona can cause unpleasant consequences for the body. Often it provokes unpleasant allergic reactions
In addition, it is not recommended to use it during the following conditions:
- High acidity of the stomach;
- Hypertensive disease in the severe stage;
- During pregnancy. This herb is the oldest means for aborting pregnancy, therefore during pregnancy it is strictly not recommended to eat.
- Oregano should be added in small amounts, otherwise this spice will taste the taste of other spices;
- add this seasoning can be in different dishes – soups, pastries, salads and other meat, fish treats;
- want your baked meat to have a pleasant aroma: Sprinkle it with oregano for about 10 until the end of cooking;
- do not forget when preserving vegetables in the marinade add a little oregano, the vegetables will be fragrant and very tasty.
Oregano is a unique spice that has a high level of nutrients. It can be used during the preparation of various treats, add to salads and even beverages. But do not overdo it with this spice. Increased use of this spice can cause unpleasant health problems.
I never thought that Oregano is called oregano, and because it is not noticeable, but has magical properties and healing, it is pleasant to taste. In cooking, it is used as a seasoning for vegetables and dishes that are piquant and tastier. Oregano is a useful seasoning and has valuable vitamins for our body.